Supporter of the site, Steve. F, writes:
The Spring issue of X-Communication was really great. I bought the app you mentioned and ordered a couple of the other items too. I wrote you last year to say you reignited my old interest in magic which had dissipated over the past 20 years and that's still true.[Ed. Note: I've redacted some stuff here that is uncomfortably flattering.] I'm looking forward to the next book in a way I haven't looked forward to a magic purchase since I was young.
Hey, thanks, Steve.
I'm happy to hear that you're looking forward to the book. I'm pretty excited about it myself.
I have a theory that I want to touch on briefly here. (I'll expand on it one day when I write my Guide to Life.)
I believe that anticipation keeps you happy and your mind and heart young.
The happiest people I know have things on the horizon they're looking forward to. I don't mean big things like buying a house or starting a company. I mean they have a lot of little trivial things they're excited about.
Maybe it's easier to find little things to be excited about when you're happy, but I think it also works the other way. I think if you find things to look forward to, you'll be happier generally.
At all times you should have something in each one of the categories (and once it comes to pass, you replace it with something else):
- A movie you're looking forward to
- A book you're looking forward to
- An album you're looking forward to
- A tv show you're looking forward to
- A meal you're looking forward to
- An event or outing (concert, play, author reading, amusement park visit, comedy show, athletic event) you're looking forward to
- A party you're looking forward to (if no one invites you to parties then start throwing two every year: a summer gathering and a holiday party)
- A trip you're looking forward to
- Someone you're looking forward to seeing (or meeting for the first time)
- A sexual encounter you're looking forward to
- Something you're looking forward to in regards to a hobby (a magic book, a video game, a comic)
- A plan you're looking forward to executing